Saturday, October 18, 2014

CONFESSIONS OF A MOM

This week has been another lesson on perspective. A high school friend of Hubby and me had their five-week-old baby return home. It’s an experience I wish no one ever had to go through and yet many people are. It has brought back many memories and I’ve relived many of those precious times we had with Lion.

Here’s the perspective. As I’m complaining and struggling to get sleep, this sweet family is planning their child’s funeral. As I got frustrated with my kids this week for whatever insignificant reason, I remembered this family and what they are struggling with. Even now as Bear is waking up after not more than a twenty minute nap, I’m remembering how precious life is and how blessed we are to have Bear with us.

And as if the point needs to be driven home, there were several FB posts (I’m spending way too much time on that these days) of different friends with children or themselves in the hospital for various reasons. Life is precious and I’ve taken it for granted lately. I could easily blame the lack of sleep, but that would be an excuse. We are very blessed to have our health and to have wonderful healthy kids that keep us active. Life is short and we should savor every moment of it.

Along with learning of the death of this sweet baby, I have found myself fighting to not read into everything little thing with Bear and Tigger. Visions of my little ones in caskets want to push their way into the for front of my mind and I’m struggling to keep them at bay. Fears of losing my little ones are rising again, and as much as I’m there for this sweet family, I’m not sure I’m ready to see another little angel in a casket tomorrow. (If you haven’t figured it out yet, I usually write these posts on Friday night and schedule them to go live on Saturday morning.)

On a lighter note, Bear was able to be blessed last Sunday. It was wonderful to have so many family and friends around us. We missed those family members that were not able to attend and we’re ever grateful for the support of so many loved ones.

As I dressed Bear in a little white suit, my mind flashed back to the times I dressed Lion in his little white suit. Once for his blessing and the other for his burial. It brought tears to my eyes. Then as Hubby blessed Bear, I couldn’t help but envision one other person standing next to them. How we miss our sweet, little Lion.


I guess the point of this post is to not take life for granted. Give those you love a hug. Tell them you love them. Try not to wish time away because we just don’t know how much time we have with each other. I used to blow off these statements as a clique and didn’t really understand their meaning until recently. Don’t make the mistake I did and underestimate the truth to and the power of each of those statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment