Saturday, September 21, 2013

Confessions Of A Mom


Through out the week, I had several ideas for posts today. Of course as I sat down to actually write about those ideas, I can’t remember a single one. That’s not entirely true. I remember a few topics I’d like to write about, I just haven’t figured out how to write about them yet. They can be touchy subjects and I want to make sure that I do it well.

Life is a precious thing. Don’t waste it. Don’t hold grudges. Tell your family how much you love them. Show them that love. Live each day to it’s fullest. I know it sounds clichĂ© to say treat each moment like it’s your last, but I’ve really grown to appreciate that saying. You never know. Life has a way of throwing curve balls and you just never know.

As I watched Tigger this week, I found myself enjoying the little things more and more. When I got frustrated, I tried to remember that you just never know and I was blessed to be a little more patient. I know I’ve been greatly blessed to have more patience and understanding with Tigger. I’ve needed it and have come to count on that blessing as he’s pushing buttons, because you just never know. Even tonight, as he’s fighting sleep time, I thought myself of the prophet who talked about his infant son crying so hard he threw up and how he told his wife he’d take care of him one night. He didn’t know that would be one of the last times he’d hold his son before his son went back home.

I know it’s crazy to think that way, but it sure has helped me appreciate Tigger more . . . even his fits of crying and stubbornness and button pushing and everything else a two-year-old throws at you. In a way, it’s made life a little more pleasant.

That goes along with a big lesson Lion taught me. When talk began of a sibling for Tigger I fought it even though I knew Tigger needed a sibling. I remember telling my mom that I’d be happy with a three to six-month-old. I had a really hard those first months. It was not fun for me. The thought of having to do that again really did not sit well, but I bit the bullet.

After Lion went home, I realized he taught me a great deal of appreciation for newborns. As hard as it was—Lion was a lot more work than Tigger was as a newborn—I would do it again in a heart beat. I would do all that he required for longer if that was what he needed. I would do it for any child of mine. I know that now.

It just goes to show that life really is precious. So as strange as it sounds, enjoy the dirty diapers, the sleepless nights, the crying, the button pushing, the sick days, the messes, the frustration, and everything else life brings because you never know if that’ll be the last moment you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment