Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Review--Royal Target by Traci Hunter Abramson


Royal Target by Traci Hunter Abramson. At the LDStorymakers conference this past year, I was told that my writing style was similar to Traci's. So, I had to pick up one of her books and see. I did realize how many books she had published and had a difficult time choosing just one--sometimes I don't like budgets :-)--and to be honest I don't remember why I bought this one. I'm glad I did though. I can see some similarities and I'm anxious to read more of her work.

I liked the setting and premise of this story. The intertwining love story worked really well and the I felt for the characters. I learned a lot about how the CIA operates and loved trying to figure out what was going to happen next. I would highly recommend this for anyone that loves a good mystery wrapped in a love story. A definite :) :) :) :) :) Here's a blurb about and an interview with Traci. Let me know what you think!

When CIA agent Janessa Rogers meets the royal family of Meridia on assignment, she expects to use her skills in linguistics and security detail to protect and serve, but she doesn’t expect to find herself engaged to Prince Garrett Fortier, Meridia’s most eligible bachelor, as part of the security plan. And she certainly doesn’t expect to fall in love with him. Janessa resists her feelings, fearing conflicts in her personal and professional life, yet when the Prince admits his feigned affection has become genuine she can no longer pretend. Matters of security, society, and spirituality make their unlikely romance even more complex, and escalating political intrigue gives Janessa an excuse to ignore the questions in her heart. But when a terrorist plot against the royal family endangers them both, Janessa and Garrett must face the challenges of loyalty to family, to country, to God—and to love.





What made you decide to become a writer?
Being a writer was one of those dreams I've had since I was little. I loved to read so it followed that I would love to write. Of course, I was also going to be a veterinarian, a jockey, a journalist, an Olympian and any other number of things.
Who inspires you?
People who serve. I am so often inspired by people who are dedicated to serving in the armed forces or in one of the many other organizations whose primary goal is the safety of others. I am also inspired by the those people I see all around me, regular people who so often step out of their comfort zone to lend a helping hand to someone simply because they see a need.
What would you like your readers to get out of your writing?
That's a hard question. I write because I want to read a story that has yet to be written. In short, I write for my own entertainment. My hope is that my readers will laugh and cry along with me and my characters and just maybe find a perspective they haven't considered before.
Where did this idea come from?
An opening scene in Royal Target, one that takes place in Caracas, Venezuela, was born out of an actual incident, but mostly this book developed from tidbits of experiences combined with a lot of imagination.
Who was your favorite character to develop?
For this book, my favorite character was definitely Janessa. I loved the way she always seemed to find trouble without looking for it even though she typically was trying to make good choices.
Any advice for aspiring authors?
My best advice is to find someone who will give you honest feedback and then listen. With the emergence of e-books and publication-on-demand, getting published is relatively easy now in comparison to years past. Getting published well is as much a challenge now as it has always been. Write your best book and then make it better.
What can we expect next from you?
My next book, Obsession, will be released next month (September 2011). I am currently working on a spin-off of Royal Targetwhich will hopefully find its way into publication early next year.
Where can we purchase your book?
My books are available at a lot of different bookstores, including Deseret Book and Seagull Books. All of my novels are also available on Kindle at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment