Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review Thursday

Today's review is a two-for-one. I read Leviathan last year, but didn't get the review done. This year I read Behemoth and loved it as much as I loved the first one. This series introduced me to what the genre of steam punk is. Very fascinating. The author, in this case Scott Westerfeld, takes a historical event and adds modern age stuff to it. So this series revolves around the assassination of the Austrian arch-duke that was a catalyst to the first world war. (I hope I'm remembering my history correctly). It's a fascinating take on events with the addition of machines that don't really exist and animals that are incredible. Here's a brief synopsis that pretty much covers what's happening in both books. Take a look and let me know what you think!

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She’s a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn’s paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment