Sunday, April 25, 2010

Book Reviews

So my computer decided to get really sick this week along with working 12 to 14 hour days. Not what I call a fun week. At least I was able to get all the books I'm writing safely off before it died. Hopefully we'll be able to get it up and running again soon. Note to self--backup computer every week rather than every month or every other month or whatever you were doing!

Anywho, here are some fabulous books I've had the priveldge of reading lately. Take a look and let me know what you think!

The 13th Reality: The Blade of Shattered Hope
James Dashner

I have been looking forward to this book for awhile. This series has just been a really fun read. I love how Dashner is able to take characters, put them through the ringer, have them learn, grow and succeed in the task all while having fun in the process, sort of. I’m not sure running for your life and facing monsters is considered fun but it sure does move the story along! The story is wonderful especially the cliff hanger ending. My mind is reeling in all the possibilities to come. I highly recommend it and am ready for the next one right now. Too bad I have to wait for a year!

The Golden Spiral
Jerry Borrowman
I love historical fiction. The only issue I have is you get so attached to the characters that when one of them dies it’s like losing a real friend. These WWI and WWII novels are incredible. The characters are great and I feel like they did become my friends. I lived through the horror and tragedy of war with them as well as the wonderful things in life that happened. Borrowman has done a fabulous job of intertwining these characters into the war so the reader knows what is happening on all fronts. It is a wonderful set of books and I’m excited to read the next two.

Enchantment
Orson Scott Card

This is a fun fantasy with a different approach to Sleeping Beauty. I enjoyed all the locations and the world that was created along with the modern day time that was used. It was fun to see what it would be like to be thrown into another world and how different people react in different ways. Card took Sleeping Beauty and made it his own with this book. There is a scene with marital relations in it, but everything else was very clean.

Anna of Byzantium
Tracy Barrett

My sister-in-law recommended this book and I really enjoyed it. At first I wasn’t sure what was going on. It would have helped to read the author’s note in the back of book first, but once I had things straight in my head it was interesting. I liked what I was able to learn about an era that doesn’t have a lot of written word. It’s amazing how corrupt people in power can be and how much damage can be caused because of jealousy and hatred. This book is a good historical read.

Blue Moon The Immortial Series
Alyson Noel

I still really like this story and concept of immortals that Noel is working with. The characters are wonderful, the idea creative, the storyline fantastic and I’m very intrigued with the twist presented at the end of it. Still, I wish there wasn’t so much alluding to sexual relationships. I know that’s what is popular today but I can’t put this book on my “to buy” list because of how much is in there. Some people I know disagree with me on that, but that’s OK. If you are OK with that content this is a fabulous series. I will keep reading it, I just won’t buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment